Though the Chicago Athletic Association hotel has become one of the hottest new properties in Chicago, the history of the building goes back more than a century. The original CAA was established in 1890 with a mission of “providing a setting for athletic, business and social activities.” Founding members included AG Spalding, Cyrus McCormick and Marshall Field.
The CAA remained a men’s-only club until 1972, and it was the only athletic club to survive the Great Depression, remaining a private membership organization until a final closure in 2007. Just a few years later, AJ Capital, Geolo Capital and Commune Hotels + Resorts began a groundbreaking two-year restoration that aimed to keep the incredible integrity intact. The building has since achieved Class L certification through the Historic Preservation and Landmarks and the National Park Service.